She represents companies in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, hospitality, health care, and not-for-profit organizations.
In addition, Michelle counsels employers on a variety of issues, including employee terminations, the drafting of employment and separation agreements, employee handbooks and general employment policies and procedures.
During law school, Michelle served as Chief Executive Editor of the San Diego International Law Journal. She served as a judicial extern for Justice Patricia Benke on the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division One. Michelle received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award (top grade) for Evidence.
- Obtained summary judgment in a case alleging disability discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, and defamation.
- Obtained summary judgment in a case alleging religious discrimination and wrongful termination in violation of public policy.
- Successfully represented a company in a dispute alleging discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, retaliation, harassment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, wrongful termination in violation of public policy and breach of contract.
- "Legal Alert: California Supreme Court Issues "Mixed Motive" Decision Favorable to Employers," FordHarrison Legal Alert, February 13, 2013
- "Court Enforces Arbitration Agreement with Class Action Waiver," California Employment Law Letter, June 25, 2012
- "Ninth Circuit Invalidates Contractual Choice of Law Provision; Holds that California Law Applies to Independent Contractor Determination," FordHarrison Legal Alert, February 21, 2012
- "California Supreme Court Breathes New Life Into Administrative Exemption," California Employment Law Letter, January 23, 2012
- "An Employee By Any Other Name...," California Employment Law Letter, June 27, 2011
- "No Private Right of Action for Violation of California Law Prohibiting Employers from Taking Tips Left For Employees," FordHarrison Legal Alert, August 19, 2010
- "EEOC Cracks Down on California Employers," California Employment Law Letter, October 25, 2010
- "Court Rejects HIV Positive Employee's Disability Claim," California Employment Law Letter, May 25, 2009
- "To Plea or Not to Plea?" California Employment Law Newsletter, March 23, 2009
- "Harassment, Discrimination Claims Against WaMu Allowed to Proceed," California Employment Law Letter, December 22, 2008
Awards and Honors
- "Southern California Rising Star," Law & Politics magazine