Andy Tanick has over 25 years of experience defending employment claims and helping employers develop effective policies and avoid litigation. He advises businesses of all sizes on issues such as non-compete agreements, severance negotiations, and employment policies and practices, and has successfully defended cases throughout the country in areas such as discrimination, retaliation and harassment. Andy serves as Ford & Harrison's "relationship partner" for several of the firm's large international clients.
Prior to joining the firm, Andy was the Chair of the Labor & Employment Practice Group at the firm of Rider Bennett LLP. He is a frequent lecturer at employment law seminars and has written several employment law articles. During law school, Andy was a Note and Comment Editor, and a published author, on the Minnesota Law Review, and performed at Carnegie Hall in college as a member of the University of Minnesota Wind Ensemble.
- Obtained immediate dismissal of lawsuit against employer accused of improperly handling employee's child support garnishment (Minnesota).
- Obtained immediate dismissals of sex discrimination case (Kansas) and race discrimination case (California) based on jurisdictional defenses.
- Obtained pre-hearing dismissal of administrative hearing in national origin discrimination claim (Utah).
- Obtained dismissal of four of five claims in Equal Pay Act lawsuit (Minnesota), leading to early favorable settlement.
- Defeated motion for Temporary Restraining Order (Minnesota) on behalf of California client accused of misappropriation of trade secrets.
- "Top 10 Ways to Get Sued by Your Employees, and How to Avoid Them," PROOF Magazine, July 2009
- "FMLA Amendments to Provide New Rights for Military Families," Verifications, Inc. Client Newsletter, March 2008
- "Our Employee Posted What? Employers Learn to Deal With Social Networking," Corporate Counsel, October 2010
Honors and Awards
- "Minnesota Rising Stars," Law & Politics magazine
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers," Law & Politics magazine
- "Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition," Law & Politics magazine
- "Minnesota Top 40 Employment Lawyer," Law & Politics magazine
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell