He advises employers in federal and state court litigation in wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, wage and hour collective and individual actions, and employment torts. He has also represented companies in arbitrations, and matters before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the National Mediation Board, the U.S. Department of Labor, the Georgia Department of Labor, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, and various state and local fair employment practice agencies throughout the United States. His work encompasses a wide variety of industries including retail, entertainment, airline, manufacturing and health care.
He created and leads a firm practice group devoted exclusively to representing clients in Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) matters. Bennet frequently provides advice and counsel to companies regarding labor and employment matters, including drafting separation agreements, advising on plant closures and reductions in force, conducting internal investigations, responding to employee complaints such as sexual harassment, handling employee discipline and discharge matters, and maintaining positive employee relations. He also prepares and defends clients in OFCCP on-site audits and advises clients regarding OFCCP regulations, EEO-1 and VETS-100 reporting requirements, and jurisdictional and compliance issues that arise under applicable Executive Orders such as E.O. 11246 and 13496.
Bennet has written and produced management training programs concerning compliance with discrimination laws, the impact of social media on labor and employment laws, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, employee privacy rights, sexual harassment in the workplace, positive employee relations practices, health and safety issues, the WARN Act, and other employment-related topics.
Bennet serves on the Anti-Defamation League's National Commission and the Board of Directors of the ADL's Southeast Regional Office.
At Emory University, he was a member of the editorial board of the Emory Law Journal.
- Successfully defended an employer that terminated a long-term employee who filed a race age and retaliation lawsuit in federal court.
- Successfully defended a unionized manufacturer in an arbitration case in which the grievant alleged he was terminated without just cause after a drug test.
- Assisted a company undergoing a nationwide reduction in force by providing advice on WARN Act and discrimination issues.
- Successfully defended a manufacturing company in a lengthy OFCCP investigation and on-site audit.
- Successfully defeated a motion for class certification in an FLSA collective action.
- Successfully appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit a district court's denial of a motion to compel arbitration.
- "Seventh Circuit Decision Rejecting Class Action Waiver Sets Stage for Supreme Court Review," FH Legal Alert, June 2016
- "Eighth Circuit Weighs in on Legality of Class Action Waivers," FH Legal Alert, June 2016
- "11th Circuit Upholds Enforceability of Class Action Waiver," FH Legal Alert, March 2014
- "President Obama Signs Executive Order Raising Minimum Wage," FH Legal Alert, February 2014
- "Social Media 101," Workspan, August 2010
- "ACT Rules in Favor of Company in OFCCP Review Dispute," Lexology, August 2010
- "H1N1: Employer Do's and Don'ts," Georgia Trend, February 2010.
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.