He represents companies in many different industries, including retail, manufacturing and health care. He is experienced in federal and state court litigation in the areas of wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, wage/hour and employment torts. He also has represented companies in matters before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the U.S. Department of Labor, the Georgia Department of Labor, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, and various state and local fair employment practice agencies. Bennet frequently provides advice and counsel to companies regarding a variety of general labor and employment matters, including drafting separation agreements, conducting internal investigations, responding to employee complaints such as sexual harassment, handling employee discipline and discharge matters, and maintaining positive employee relations. He also prepares and defends clients in OFCCP on-site audits and advises clients regarding OFCCP regulations, EEO-1 and VETS-100 reporting requirements, and jurisdictional and compliance issues that arise under applicable Executive Orders such as E.O. 11246 and 13496.
Bennet has written and produced management training programs concerning compliance with discrimination laws, the impact of social media on labor and employment laws, employee privacy rights, sexual harassment in the workplace, maintaining union-free status, health and safety issues, the WARN Act, and other employment-related topics.
Bennet is active in the Anti-Defamation League, serving on the ADL's National Commission and the Board of Directors of the ADL's Southeast Regional Office.
At Emory University, he was a member of the editorial board of the Emory Law Journal.
- Successfully defended an employer that terminated a long-term employee who filed a race age and retaliation lawsuit in federal court.
- Successfully defended a unionized manufacturer in an arbitration case in which the grievant alleged he was terminated without just cause after a drug test.
- Assisted a company undergoing a nationwide reduction in force by providing advice on WARN Act and discrimination issues.
- Defended a company in a nationwide FLSA collective action.
- Successfully defended a manufacturing company in a lengthy OFCCP investigation and on-site audit.
- "11th Circuit Upholds Enforceability of Class Action Waiver," March 2014
- "President Obama Signs Executive Order Raising Minimum Wage," February 2014
- "Social Media 101," Workspan, August 2010
- "ACT Rules in Favor of Company in OFCCP Review Dispute," Lexology, August 2010
- "H1N1: Employer Do's and Don'ts," Georgia Trend, February 2010
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell