He also has extensive experience in labor law matters, including opposing union organizing campaigns, and litigating unfair labor practice charges. Clay counsels businesses on the entire range of workplace issues and frequently conducts management training on employment law, labor law, and other issues of concern to employers.
Clay serves as a strategic partner with the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Upstate where he leads a fundraising team assisting with the Club's Annual Fund Drive. Clay also works with local youth through coaching and advising local youth basketball clubs. Clay has also been active with local youth through Junior Achievement where he served as Chairman of the Board of Directors for two years.
- Obtained verdict for Fortune 1000 employer in trade secrets, breach of contract, breach of duty of loyalty, and civil conspiracy litigation
- Successfully assisted Fortune 500 company with protecting its confidential and proprietary information through complex trade secrets, breach of contract, breach of duty of loyalty, and unfair trade practices litigation
- Obtained a defense verdict for 100-year-old warehousing employer in disability and age discrimination case
- Successfully conciliated multi-plaintiff sexual harassment matter before the EEOC for Fortune 100 franchisee
- Obtained summary judgment for manufacturer in disability and age discrimination, and wrongful discharge case against a plaintiff with over 30 years of experience with the company
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple cases before the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina involving ADEA, ADA, FMLA, and race discrimination
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America – Labor and Employment Law
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "South Carolina Super Lawyers" - Labor and Employment Law and "Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition" by Super Lawyers magazine (2008, 2010 and 2011)