He devotes much of his practice to counseling clients on avoiding employment discrimination claims and developing a positive work environment.
Herb has written numerous articles on labor and employment matters, is a frequent speaker on labor and employment matters and co-chaired the Labor and Employment Committee of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association. He is also editor of the Tennessee Employers Desk Manual and the Arkansas Employers Desk Manual.
Herb is a graduate of Leadership Memphis and a member of the Advisory Board to the Memphis Area Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the Labor and Employment Subcommittees of the American, Tennessee and Memphis Bar Associations. He is also a member of the ABA International Labour and Employment Law Committee. Herb is a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in sex discrimination and disability case; affirmed by Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and Cert denied by U.S. Supreme Court
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in race and national origin case; confirmed by Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in suit alleging failure to pay benefits under health insurance plan; affirmed by Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America - Memphis Litigation - Labor and Employment - 2016 "Lawyer of the Year"
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America – Labor and Employment Law
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers in Business, "Eminent Practitioner"
- Who's Who Legal International Who's Who Management Labour and Employment Lawyers
- "Mid-South Super Lawyers" and "Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition" by Super Lawyers magazine
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell