He has a broad ERISA practice, focusing primarily on design, drafting and administration of all types of qualified and non-qualified deferred compensation plans and arrangements, including those for tax-exempt and governmental employers, as well as welfare benefit plans and other fringe benefits. Jeffrey designs and deals with deferred compensation and other executive compensation plans and programs, including equity-based programs such as stock options restricted stock. He also has an extensive tax background which complements his benefits practice, and he counsels clients on various plan-related and employment-related tax matters, such as application of the employment tax provisions of the Internal Revenue Code.
Prior to joining FordHarrison, Jeffrey practiced with another law firm in New York for twenty-four years. Before that, he was Deputy General Counsel of a New York City bank, and before that was with the Internal Revenue Service in Washington, D.C.
- Amending numerous clients' retirement plans for compliance with various recent law and regulatory changes
- Negotiating favorable settlements with the Internal Revenue Service in matters involving potential disqualification of qualified retirement plans.
- Amending plans and policies for numerous philanthropic, educational, and other not-for-profit organizations in order to comply with current changes in the applicable law and regulations, including various issues peculiar to tax-exempt employers.
- Negotiating with a large multiemployer plan in order to minimize withdrawal liability assessments against clients who were engaging in sales of businesses and other transactions.
- Advising clients regarding treatment of employee benefit plans and programs in mergers and other corporate transactions, and assisting in taking necessary actions.
- "IRS Answers Residence Question for Same Sex Spouses," FordHarrison Legal Alert, September 3, 2013
- "Health Care Benefits After the Supreme Court's ‘Windsor' Decision," Bloomberg-BNA Health Care Policy Report, August 19, 2013
- "Correcting 2012 Withholding Errors," FordHarrison Legal Alert, January 17, 2013
- "The Fiscal-Cliff Tax Relief Affected Benefits, Too," FordHarrison Legal Alert, January 4, 2013
- "IRS Provides Temporary Waiver of Certain Eligibility Requirements for the Voluntary Classification Settlement Program," FordHarrison Legal Alert, December 20, 2012