He was a member of the panel of arbitrators, USOC, during the 1996 and 1998 Olympic Games. His practice also includes mediation in the above practice areas as well as real estate and anti-trust matters.
John is active in the State Bar of Georgia and has served as chair and as a member of the executive board of the Corporate Counsel Section. He is a past-vice chair of the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee for the Georgia Bar. He is also the past president of Research Atlanta. He is a registered neutral in the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution, the American Arbitration Association, commercial, construction and sports arbitration panels, FINRA arbitration panel, and on the DeKalb County Dispute Resolution Center panel of neutrals.
John currently serves on the 2011-2012 Atlanta Bar Association Dispute Resolution Board. He was Co-Chair of the Georgia Bar's ADR Section Seminar in March 2004 sponsored jointly by the Atlanta Bar Association's ADR Section. He has published several papers including "Recent Developments in the Arbitration of Employment Disputes" and "Manifest Disregard of the Law" which was presented at the 10th Annual ADR Institute in 2003. He also chaired the ICLE seminar - "ADR for Corporate Counsel" - sponsored by the Corporate Counsel Section of the Georgia Bar and the American Arbitration Association in May 2002. He is an adjunct professor of ADR at the Emory University School of Law. He has participated as a trainer in mediation for the GODR.
Prior to joining FordHarrison, John was Regional Counsel for Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation and Container Corporation of America. He served as labor counsel for Union Camp Corporation. He was an officer in the U.S. Army serving a tour of duty in Vietnam.
- Served as neutral in mediations and over 500 arbitration cases.
- "Case Watch for Arbitrators," Be Neutral, a publication of the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution, 2010. 2011, 2012
- "Recent Developments in the Arbitration of Employment Disputes," ICLE 's Current Issues in Arbitration, 2004
- Regular contributor to the Georgia Alternative Dispute Resolution Blog, giving timely reviews and discussing recent arbitration cases. The blog postings can be viewed at http://georgiaadr.wordpress.com
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America – Alternative Dispute Resolution
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell