He frequently defends employers in federal and state court against claims of discrimination and harassment, retaliatory discharge, and alleged wage/hour violations. Josh also represents management in collective bargaining and unfair labor practice cases before the National Labor Relations Board.
Josh's litigation experience helps him guide management through difficult employee relations issues such as navigating disability accommodations and leave requests, general wage and hour compliance, and enforcing non-competes and other employment agreements and policies. Josh also regularly speaks to clients and industry groups regarding developments in employment law and is a regular contributor to EntertainHR, FordHarrison's pop-culture blog with an employment-law perspective. His blogposts are available at http://blogs.hrhero.com/entertainhr/.
Josh is a current member and Past-President of the Green Hills Rotary Club and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Little Pantry That Could, serving the underprivileged and homeless in West Nashville. Prior to joining Ford Harrison, Josh served as a judicial clerk for Magistrate Judge Diane K. Vescovo of the Western District of Tennessee.
- Obtained summary judgment for health care provider against former employee's claims of religious discrimination under Title VII, disability discrimination, harassment and retaliation under the ADA, and retaliation under the FMLA.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court for employer over allegations the employer breached an employment contract
- Defended employer before the National Labor Relations Board against unfair labor practice allegations
- Represented client in class and collective action litigation involving allegations of tip credit violations and unpaid overtime and uniform maintenance fees under federal and state wage and hour law
- Participated in negotiating three-year labor agreements for multiple Florida hospitals
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "Keeping It in Check: The Ins and Outs of Employee Credit and Criminal Background Checks," October 2015, Nashville Bar Association Employment Law Institute, Co-presenter
- "Agency Guidelines: Employment Law Problems & Prevention," March 2015, Insurors of Tennessee - Agency Growth Conference
- "The Intersection of the ADA, FMLA, and Workers Compensation," February 2015, Tennessee Concrete Association Annual Convention
- "Ten Rules for Effective Management," October 2014, Insurors of Tennessee Annual Convention
- "Don't Sleep on State Laws: How Recent Developments May Impact Your Business," October 2014, Middle Tennessee SHRM Employment Law Conference
- "Employment Law Basics," September 2014, Gallatin Noon Rotary
- "Peyton Manning and retirement: Super Bowl lessons on avoiding age claims at work," EntertainHR, February 2016
- "Three tips for appropriate performance appraisals," EntertainHR, January 2016
- "Three tips on firing employees: Les Miles/Mark Richt ‘silly season' edition," EntertainHR, December 2015
- "Gossett v. Tractor Supply Co., Inc.—Is Summary Judgment Still an Option for Employers?" Nashville Bar Journal, February 2011
Honors and Awards
- "Rising Star," Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2014-2015