Her involvement with affirmative action plans (AAP) includes drafting plans, training clients on their affirmative action obligations and representing federal contractors and subcontractors in compliance evaluations and administrative enforcement actions before the OFCCP. For her litigation practice, Karen counsels employers and litigates claims of discrimination and harassment under Title VII, the FMLA, the ADA, the ADEA, other civil rights laws, reductions-in-force, as well as state law claims of wrongful discharge. She also trains supervisors and managers on how federal and state employment laws affect their business operations.
Karen's unique specialty is with AAP's. She works with clients to develop AAP's and implement the various obligations required under applicable regulations. Karen also provides routine advice and counsel to corporate clients as to AAP requirements and represents clients during OFCCP audits. Karen also assists companies with implementation of applicant tracking programs and impact ratio analysis.
In addition, Karen has presented seminars on employment law to industrial organizations, employer associations, Chambers of Commerce, and other groups. She is on the Board of Directors for the Spartanburg Development Association. Karen was a member of the North Carolina Central University Law Review from 1989 until 1991.
- Challenged OFCCP's jurisdiction on behalf of health care entity, utility company, and other service provider
- Represented gambling casino on an Indian Reservation as to FMLA issue involving reduction in force
- "Federal Stimulus Recipients: There's a String Attached to That Money," North Carolina Lawyer's Weekly, Vol. 22, No. 26, September 7, 2009
- "A Year of Many Changes for Federal Contractors," The Impact of New Executive Orders on Government Contracting, Aspatore (2009)
- A Guide to ADA/FMLA for the Carolinas, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013)
- A Guide to ADA/FMLA, American Chamber of Commerce Resources (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell