She frequently works with aviation clients on complicated or sensitive harassment and discrimination complaints, complex discipline or discharge, and fitness for duty evaluations, with particular emphasis on flight crews. Sarah arbitrates employment-related union grievances, responds to crew-related administrative charges before the FAA, OSHA, EEOC and state agencies, and litigates employment and labor (RLA) claims in state and federal court.
Sarah's practice has a national scope. In her 22 years of practice, she has handled cases and administrative charges and complaints all across the country. She works with mainline carriers, low cost carriers, regional carriers, cargo carriers, ground support companies and MROs. Sarah is a frequent speaker at industry conferences and champion of the advancement of women in the industry.
- Defended four related union animus claims during union campaign, obtaining summary judgment on two and voluntary dismissal of the other two
- Securing summary judgment for an airline against the EEOC in a gender-harassment claim, which forced the EEOC to dismiss voluntarily a second, related lawsuit asserting retaliation
- Securing dismissal of two sexual-orientation discrimination and harassment complaints filed by two pilots before a local human rights commission after a public hearing with significant media coverage
- Ensuring denial of grievance filed by captain over discharge for alleged date-rape of first officer and attempted assault of flight attendant on overnight trips
- Manage Your Employees or Get Out of the Way
- "Dementia in the Workplace," Inside Counsel
- "Mental Health Issues in the Workplace," The Corporate Counselor
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "Attendance and Ability Management," Ius Laboris and FordHarrison Global Employment Symposium, Chicago, IL
Honors and Awards
AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell