Scott regularly counsels clients on benefit matters in mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions, including pre-acquisition planning and executive compensation 409A issues. He also has extensive experience with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and has advised clients on compliance with that Act, with HIPAA, and various other federal and state laws relevant to health and welfare plans.
Scott represents clients in federal and state courts in employee benefits litigation and before regulatory agencies including the IRS Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS) and the DOL Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program (VFCP).
Before joining FordHarrison, Scott was an attorney at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) in Washington, D.C. His role at the PBGC included working to protect defined benefit pension plans in corporate transactions, managing ERISA litigation for termination liability and fiduciary breach claims against plan sponsors and counseling the agency on plan qualification matters such as church and governmental plans.
Scott received his J.D. from George Mason University School of Law, where he was editor in chief of the Journal of Law, Economics & Policy, and his LL.M. in taxation from Georgetown University School of Law.
- "Regulation of Qualified Retirement Income Plans Generally: Life Insurance in Qualified Plans," Employee Benefits Law, 2013 Cumulative Supplement, BNA/Bloomberg (Dana M. Muir, et al. eds. 2013) (forthcoming).
- FordHarrison Legal Alert: "Affordable Care Act Transitional Policy for Individual and Small Group Plans," November 18, 2013
- FordHarrison Legal Alert: "Health Care Reform Provisions for 2014 and Beyond," November 7, 2013
- "ERISA Preemption and Removal," ERISA Litigation 2011 Cumulative Supplement, BNA/Bloomberg (Jayne E. Zanglein, et al. eds. 2012).
- "Hedge Funds: The Final Frontier of Securities Regulation and the Last Hope for Economic Revival," Journal of Law, Economics & Policy, 2009
- "The Health Care Reform "Delay" – Why PEOs Cannot Afford to Wait Until 2015," FordHarrison Webinar, September 2013
- "Healthcare Reform: Are you Ready?," FordHarrison Webinar, May 2013
- "Healthcare Reform is Here to Stay," FordHarrison Webinar, December 2012