In her practice, Suheily handles allegations of sexual harassment, disability discrimination, FMLA violations, race and national origin discrimination, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, wrongful discharge, and violation of wage and hour and wage payment laws. She also drafts and reviews employment policies, employment contracts and employee handbooks. Suheily provides regular counseling on the day-to-day issues that invariably arise in the workplace.
Prior to joining FordHarrison, Suheily worked as an associate in the employment litigation group of a Chicago area law firm. During law school, she received the CALI Award for Academic Excellence for Pre-Trial Drafting and Civil Litigation. Suheily is bilingual and bi-cultural, often using her language skills to assist employers with predominantly Spanish speaking workforces
Suheily is a committee chair of the Black Women Lawyers' Association of Chicago and a board member of the Puerto Rican Bar Association. She is also an active member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated and sits on the auxiliary board of the Community Mental Health Council. Suheily is the Chicago Office pro bono liaison to area Habitat for Humanity Affiliates.
- Achieved favorable settlement in a contentious restrictive covenant and trade secrets case.
- Represented client in workers' compensation retaliation claim resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented client in wage and hour claim under the FLSA resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented client in ADA discharge case, asserted multiple counter claims and lawsuit was favorably settled.
- Assisted in providing client specific training to human resources department on complying with the Lilly Ledbetter Act and other employment laws.
- Received multiple "no cause" determinations from the EEOC and state and local human rights commissions.
- Contributing Editor, Illinois Employment Law Letter
- "Latinas and the Law: How Traditional Beliefs, Ambition and Education Make for an Ideal Attorney", Women's Law Caucus Digest, DePaul University College of Law, Fall 2005.
Honors and Awards
- "Illinois Rising Stars," Law & Politics magazine