He represents and counsels employers in substantive areas including employee policies, discrimination, audits, harassment and training.
In addition to his experience in labor and employment law, he has lectured and written on issues involving the first amendment, privacy, defamation, media relations and the news and advertising business. Sam also serves as an Associate Professor in the School of Communication at the University of Miami where he teaches courses on media law, management, reporting ethics and the First Amendment.
Prior to joining FordHarrison, Sam served 12 years as general counsel of the Miami Herald Publishing Company (publisher of The Miami Herald, El Nuevo Herald, The Florida Keys Keynoter and The Reporter).
Sam is very active in the Miami-Dade community serving on the boards of the Miami Children's Museum, the Home Instruction Program for Pre-school Youngsters and other organizations. Sam also recently served on the boards of the South Florida Boy Scouts Council, United Way and First Amendment Foundation and as a delegate to a Miami-Dade Public Schools multi-ethnic coalition of parents and citizens on school attendance boundaries and desegregation in the Miami area.*
- Samuel A. Terilli and Liney Inga Arnorsdottir, "The CEO as Celebrity Blogger: Is There a Ghost or Ghostwriter in the Machine?," Public Relations Journal, Public Relations Society of American, Fall 2008
- Samuel A. Terilli, Paul D. Driscoll, and Don W. Stacks, "Business Blogging in the Fog of Law: Traditional Agency Liability Principles and Less-Than-Traditional Section 230 Immunity in the Context of Blogs About Business," Public Relations Journal, Public Relations Society of American, Spring 2008 [http://www.prsa.org/prjournal/spring08.html]
- "Government Playing at Journalism, Not Government Paying Journalists, Is the Real Problem, Journal of Mass Media Ethics, April-June 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America – Employment Law - Management, Litigation - First Amendment, Litigation – Labor and Employment and Media Law
- "Florida Super Lawyers" and "Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition" by Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2009)
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
*Per Florida Bar rules, information on litigation and other legal successes has not been disclosed but is available upon request.