He handles employment discrimination and harassment cases (Title VII, ADA, ADEA and FMLA), wage/hour matters, enforcement and defense of restrictive covenants contained in employment agreements, and employment-related torts. He is experienced in complex and class action litigation, and has tried cases in state and federal courts across the country. Louis has extensive experience in public sector representation in both litigation and collective bargaining.
Louis is a member of the Labor and Employment Section of the American Bar Association; the Labor Section of the Tennessee Bar Association (Chair, Executive Council, 2008-2009); and the Memphis Bar Association (Board of Directors, 2008-2009), Labor and Employment Section. He is a chapter editor for The Fair Labor Standards Act (ABA), and is a frequent speaker on employment law matters. In recognition of his accomplishments, Louis was inducted as a Fellow in the National College of Labor and Employment Lawyers in 2010.
- Successfully defended public employer at jury trial involving claims of race discrimination and alleged First Amendment violations.
- Lead counsel in FLSA nationwide collective action litigation.
- Lead counsel for the City of Memphis before the United States Supreme Court in Stotts v. Memphis Fire Department involving affirmative action under a court-approved consent decree.
- Presenter, "Social Media: Can Employers Control the Pandora's Box Opened by Employees' Increasing Use of Technology?" Greater Memhpis Chamber's Recruiting and Protecting Your Greatest Assets Seminar, November 14, 2013
- Presenter, "Trial Techniques in Employment Law," 2011 Memphis Bar Association Annual Conference, May 7, 2011
- Presenter, "Developments in Class Actions," 15th Annual Labor & Employment Forum, April 28, 2011
Honors and Awards
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America – Labor and Employment Law
- The Best Lawyers in America – Memphis Employment Law – Management "Lawyer of the Year" (2013)
- "Mid-South Super Lawyers" and "Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition"by Super Lawyers magazine
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers in Business
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell