Her practice ranges from issues arising under the National Labor Relations Act to discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, and non-compete matters. Anessa assists employers in drafting employment policies and handbooks and counsels corporate executives and managers on the myriad of issues that arise in the employer-employee relationship, including classification issues under the Fair Labor Standards Act, leave requests, employee terminations, and layoffs. Anessa has investigated allegations of inappropriate workplace conduct, and has conducted training sessions for managers and supervisors on EEO issues.
- Obtained summary judgment on a race, religion and national origin case based on failure to hire.
- Achieved a favorable decision in a grievance arbitration involving the termination of an employee.
- Defended owner of property in a temporary restraining order proceeding seeking to enjoin sale of property based on alleged violation of collective bargaining agreement. Temporary restraining order denied.
- Obtained dismissal of an eleven count complaint alleging race/color and disability discrimination, retaliation, FMLA violations, breach of contract, and employment torts. Dismissal affirmed by the Fourth Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of a race and sex discrimination complaint.
- Assisted company with enforcement of a non-compete agreement.
Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Co-presenter, "I'm Watching What You're Doing…," BIO Human Resources 2011 Conference, June 27, 2011
- Co-presenter, "Before, During and After a Reduction-in-Force: Legal and Practical Considerations," BIO Human Resources 2010 Conference, May 7, 2010
- Co-author, "The Americans With Disabilities Act Manual For Apprenticeship Programs," published by NJATC, May 2009
- Co-presenter, "The State of Data Privacy in the U.S. and Europe," National Association of Women Lawyers, General Counsel Institute, Nov. 7, 2008
- Co-presenter, "Navigating Employment Law in a Softening Economy," WMACCA, May 29, 2008
- Co-author, "Navigating Employment Law in a Softening Economy," WMACCA Focus, 4th Quarter, 2008
Honors and Awards
- "Washington, DC Super Lawyers," Super Lawyers magazine