He litigates cases before federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout the country. He defends both individual and class action cases and has substantial jury trial experience. Rick also handles numerous mediations and arbitrations.
He devotes a significant part of his practice to preventive law and advising clients how to avoid/resolve labor and employment disputes and litigation. He has written numerous articles on labor and employment issues and frequently conducts management training and seminars.
- Assisted numerous clients with reductions in force and compliance with the WARN Act.
- Negotiated plant closing agreement at unionized facility.
- Conducted seminars on wage and hour law, the ADA and FMLA, and social media.
- Advised clients on the issues related to unionization and/or efforts to organize their employees.
- Negotiated withdrawals from multi-employer pension plans.
- Defended clients in lawsuits alleging race, sex, pregnancy, national origin, and disability discrimination, retaliation, FMLA interference, violations of wage and hour laws, and retaliation for asserting a worker's compensation claim.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- "Will the NLRB Require You to Bargain with Somebody Else's Employees?" ASHHRA/IRI Consultants 45th Labor Activity in Health Care Report, October 2015
- "Employers Rush to Embrace Noel Canning," National Law Journal, April 15, 2013
- "How Natural Disasters Affect Obligations Under the Fair Labor Standards Act," ABA Labor and Employment Flash, March/April 2013
- "Federal Labor & Employment Law Update and Initiatives Expected in President Obama's 2nd Term," National Association of Dealer Counsel Newsletter, February 2013
- "Legal Concerns When Considering a Reduction in Force," FordHarrison Webinar, January 15, 2013
- "Ten Things Lawyers Like/Hate About Mediators" panelist - Atlanta Bar Association Dispute Resolution Breakfast, January 4, 2012
Honors and Awards
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- "BTI Client Service All-Star Team"
- "Georgia Super Lawyers - Employment and Labor"
- The Best Lawyers in America - Labor & Employment Law
- The Best Lawyers in America - Atlanta Labor Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year" (2013)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- "Georgia's Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell