He litigates cases before federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout the country. He defends both individual and class action cases and has substantial jury trial experience. Rick also handles numerous mediations and arbitrations.
He devotes a significant part of his practice to preventive law and advising clients how to avoid/resolve labor and employment disputes and litigation. He has written numerous articles on labor and employment issues and frequently conducts management training and seminars.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- "DOL Has Issued its Final Rule Revising White Collar Overtime Exemptions - Is Your Business Prepared?" FordHarrison Breakfast Briefing, Atlanta, GA - June 2016
- The Contingent Workforce: Update on Misclassification and Joint Employment Issues," ABA 9th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Philadelphia, PA - November 2015
- "Independent Contractor or Employee? The Wrong Decision Could Be Costly," FordHarrison Breakfast Briefing, Atlanta, GA, October 2015
- "Will the NLRB Require You to Bargain with Somebody Else's Employees?" ASHHRA/IRI Consultants 45th Labor Activity in Health Care Report, October 2015
- "NLRB's New Broader Joint-Employer Standard - What it is and How it Impacts Your Business" FordHarrison Webinar, September 2015
- "Lessons for Car Dealers from Fast Food Workers Walkouts," National Association of Dealer Counsel Newsletter, October 2013
- "Employers Rush to Embrace Noel Canning," National Law Journal, April 15, 2013
- "How Natural Disasters Affect Obligations Under the Fair Labor Standards Act," ABA Labor and Employment Flash, March/April 2013
- "Federal Labor & Employment Law Update and Initiatives Expected in President Obama's 2nd Term," National Association of Dealer Counsel Newsletter, February 2013
Honors and Awards
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- "BTI Client Service All-Star Team"
- "Georgia Super Lawyers - Employment and Labor" Super Lawyers magazine
- The Best Lawyers in America – Labor & Employment Law
- The Best Lawyers in America – Atlanta Labor Law – Management "Lawyer of the Year" (2013)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- "Georgia's Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell