Several of our attorneys have more than 30 years of experience in the industry, including knowledge of logistics, shipping, motor carriers, private carriers, shippers, brokers, trucking insurers, airline and railway sectors. Transportation is a highly regulated industry, in which employers experience daily challenges to comply with complex and constantly changing laws. FordHarrison helps ease this burden for our clients. Our Transportation Group closely monitors regulatory changes in the industry, from the latest DOT regulations, to proposed legislation related to reclassifying owner operators as employees, to union election rule changes by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). When legislative changes or other key developments occur, our attorneys distribute industry specific legal alerts to our clients to help them stay informed.
Our firm recognizes that maintaining and expanding our working relationships with federal regulatory personnel at DOT and within industry trade groups can aid our clients in avoiding or reducing legal risks and costs. Therefore FordHarrison invests significant resources in industry and trade groups.
Our Transportation Industry attorneys are active in major industry trade associations such as the American Trucking Associations (ATA), the Truck Rental and Leasing Association, the Truckload Carriers Association, the National Tank Truck Carriers Association and several intermodal and shipping groups. Our attorneys are also actively involved in the North American Transportation Employee Relations Association (NATERA). The membership of NATERA is made up of LTL carriers, truckload carriers, private carriers, and other private transportation contractors and professionals.
Members of our Transportation Group have also served on the Executive Committee for the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA), as the General Counsel for the Regular Common Carrier Conference of the ATA, and as the General Counsel and President of the Distribution & LTL Carriers Association.
Labor Relations and Employment Law Experience in the Transportation Industry
In addition to industry knowledge we are proud of our litigation experience across all sectors of the transportation industry. Several of our attorneys have more than 30 years of litigation experience in the industry, including trucking, logistics, supply chain, intermodal, shipping, and the airline and railway sectors. Some of our expertise includes wage hour class action litigation, litigation of disability claims, trade secret and non-compete claims, matters pertaining to sexual harassment and discrimination, Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act (FAAAA) preemption cases, collective bargaining negotiations, arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements, related litigation, and representation in both unfair labor practice and unit election proceedings under the National Labor Relations Act, representation before the Waterfront Commission, representation before the DOT and the DOL, as well as state and federal labor relations statutes, and related laws.
Our transportation industry experience also includes:
- Wage hour class action litigation (both meal break and owner operator issues);
- Litigation of disability claims;
- Matters pertaining to sexual and other forms of unlawful harassment and discrimination;
- Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act (FAAAA) preemption cases;
- Collective bargaining negotiations, arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements, related litigation, and representation in both unfair labor practice and unit election proceedings under the National Labor Relations Act;
- Litigation involving the Teamsters, UAW, Steelworkers, UFCW, SEIU, AFSCME, Laborers, ATU, UTU and other unions;
- Neutrality or other labor cooperation policies;
- Representation before the Waterfront Commission;
- Representation before the DOT and the DOL, as well as matters involving state and federal labor relations statutes, and related laws.