In particular, she has extensive experience in employment law cases, having defended over 300 employment and civil rights lawsuits to conclusion. Elizabeth has also handled more than 100 appeals in state and federal courts and even appeared before the United States Supreme Court.
Employers call on Elizabeth to represent them in the entire spectrum of employment-related litigation, appeals, and administrative proceedings, both individual and class-wide. She litigates employment matters in state and federal courts in areas such as employment discrimination (Title VII, the ADEA, FMLA, and the ADA), sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation, whistleblower, federal and state wage and hour laws (both single plaintiff and collective actions), and restrictive covenant agreements including trade secret and non-compete provisions.
Working with multinational and global companies, Elizabeth provides strategic advice and counseling on the unique employment law issues they face, including the impact of U.S. employment and labor laws on foreign employers. She has handled international employee transfers and expatriate assignments, and regularly advises foreign companies that do business in the U.S. on the requirements of U.S. workplace law.
Elizabeth counsels employers on a daily basis in both Spanish and English on how best to deal with difficult employees and other sensitive personnel matters. She also conducts investigations and training and drafts handbooks, policies and agreements for clients in both Spanish and English.
Her extensive insurance and coverage litigation experience makes her well-suited to handle matters covered by employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) and directors and officers (D&O) liability policies.
Elizabeth is a member of the Florida Bar's Labor and Employment Law and the Appellate Practice and Advocacy Section. She is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society consisting of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of trucking company on Motor Carrier Exemption
- Obtained dismissal of age and discrimination claims against burger franchisee
- Obtained dismissal of FLSA retaliation claim against national restaurant
- Obtained dismissal of local company in tortious inference claim at trial court and successfully defended dismissal on appeal
Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
- "FMLA, ADA, and Workers' Compensation -The Perfect Storm," Greater Miami SHRM Legal Update Seminar (2012)
- Wage Hour Claims and Class Actions National Forum, American Conference Institute (2012)
- "Dos and Don'ts of Internal Investigations," Greater Miami SHRM Legal Update Seminar (2011)
- "Artists and Labor Law," ABA's International Legal Symposium on Music, Film, Television and Sports (2011)
- Labor and Employment Law Update, Broward County Bar Association, (2010)
- "The Top 10 Things Employer Can Do to Avoid Litigation, " Annual Accounting Show (2010)
- "Understanding Retaliation Claims," The Florida Bar's Basic Labor and Employment Law Seminar (2009)
- "A Look at Recent Developments and Future Trends in Labor and Employment Law," LCA Conference (2008)
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America - Labor and Employment Law
- "Florida Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine (the top 1.8% of all lawyers practicing in Florida)
- "Florida Super Lawyers" by Super Lawyers magazine
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Fluent in Spanish
- Basic proficiency in French